Recently, a heartbreaking incident surfaced that left many across the country shocked and stunned. A police investigation recently shared how a Facebook prank among relatives went terribly wrong and became the reason of the death of 3 lives – one of them being a few hours old baby.
So What Happened?
In January, a 22-year-old Reshma of Kalluvathukkal village in Kollamth, abandoned her new born baby boy in a pit near a rubber plantation. Though the baby was traced and took to hospital but it was too late. The baby died at the hospital.
Recently, a detailed probe of 6 months brought the reality behind this extreme case into light. Based on DNA sampling, the police team found that Reshma and her husband were the biological parents of the baby.
She Abandoned Her Baby To Live With Her ‘Lover’
In June, the police arrested Reshma in connection with the death of the newborn. As per the sources, during interrogation, Reshma mentioned that she had left her newborn to die in order to elope with a man whom she had befriended on Facebook but never met in person. According to police, she had not disclosed that she was pregnant to her husband, Vishnu, nor to anyone else in her family.
Later, to find out the woman’s Facebook friend, police called two of her relatives her sister-in-law Arya and niece Greeshma, for questioning. Police called them for interrogation because mobile SIM card in Arya’s name was being used by Reshma to operate one of her multiple Facebook accounts.
The Unexpected Twist In The Case
In the shocking turn of events, after the two women were summoned, they allegedly died by suicide after they jumped into a river a day. Post which, police questioned a friend of Greeshma who revealed that she had told him that she and Arya created the Facebook account of one Anandu to play a prank on Reshma. Later, police also found that Arya had shared with her mother-in-law about the prank before she allegedly committed suicide. Arya’s husband, however, said he had no idea about the prank.
Meanwhile, Reshma has been sent to judicial custody to a quarantine centre. She had tested positive for Covid-19, police said.
It is heart-breaking how a prank devastated so many lives and families. It breaks our heart how a little baby boy, who had not fault of his, became the victim of the circumstances.
At IFORHER, we hope people will seek some learning from this horrific incident and make sure not to cross the boundaries for their own entertainment and fun!