Bhumi Pednekar and Rajkummar Rao’s upcoming film Badhaai Do’s trailer shows how the movie will deal with a concept that is rarely discussed or even acknowledged in India— the ‘Lavender Marriage’. In such a marriage, a man and a woman enter into a marriage of convenience with each other in order to hide their true sexual orientations from the family and society.
While we are eagerly waiting for Badhaai Do, here are 7 other Bollywood movies that handled LGBTQIA+ representation quite right!
1. Shubh Mangal Zyada Savadhan: Presenting the life of two gay men who are in love, Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan depicts their struggle to convince their families to accept the relationship.
2. Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga: The movie is about a small-town gay woman who takes a stand against her family for the love of her life.
3. Geeli Pucchi: ‘Geeli Pucchi’, the short film on Netflix anthology ‘Ajeeb Dastaan’ talks about caste, sexuality, privilege, and patriarchy in a powerful way. The best thing about the film is that it shows all the characters in the perfect shade of grey. Caste disparity causes tension between two women, who begin to like each other at their workplace.
4. Made in Heaven: The series captures the story of a young man, who goes through various upheavals for falling in love with another man.
5. Kapoor & Sons: The movie beautifully captures the struggle of a gay man trying to come out of closet.
6. Married Woman: The show is about a married woman, walking out of her marriage as she falls in love with other woman.
7. 4 More Shots Please: Another show that didn’t stereotype LGBTQIA+ unlike many other mainstream shows!