Wondering how to be a writer? Here are 20 tips that you will find useful.
Writing is not only a creative art but also a form of expression of one’s deepest reflections. Thoughts and ideas are put in words that string together to form a story, poetry, article, or blog. Writing is perhaps, one of the most satisfying and enriching experiences. But can anyone and everyone write? How to be a writer? Or better how to be a good writer? If you want to make a career out of writing, then read on. We bring to you some basic tips that are essential in the making of a writer.
How to be a writer?
1. Find your reason: First of all, ask yourself why you want to be a writer? Is it to express or find meaning or be creative? Do you want a career out of it, or is it a pleasurable
pastime hobby? Understanding the need will help you focus on what you want to write and why. Then the ‘how’ will automatically be easier to master.
2. See the unseen: A writer can write about absolutely anything. But to attract the attention of readers, the writer has to write about issues or plots that are interesting. And at the same time, unexpected, engaging, and thought-provoking.
3. Read a lot: To become a good writer, you must be a good reader. Reading is the source and learning material for writers. Reading also helps in improving the command over the language and making new addition to the vocabulary.
4. Practice: Practice makes a man perfect. Try writing every day, even if it means taking out ten minutes in the day. Writing more and more helps in speeding up the thought and typing process. It is a great way to overcome ‘writer’s block’ aswell.
5. Watch movies/series: Yes, you read that right! Watching a story or movie is an entertaining way to learn how to be a writer. Stories, plots, characters, and ideas that
come from television, online, and OTT platforms are also authentic content to ponder over.
6. Mark a space: Allocate time and space for writing. It could be a corner of the room or your bed. Moreover, try getting into a mental space where all other priorities, except writing fade away.
7. Blog or journal: Related to practising writing, starting a blog or keeping a journal is an excellent way to make sure you write often. Instead of penning random thoughts
anywhere, why not put it online or maintain a diary that you can look back and show to others too.
8. Share your writings: If you want to make a career out of writing – share your work. Post your writings on social media or share them with friends and family. The exposure will boost your confidence and encourage you to write more.
9. Find your critic: A trusted critic who gives constructive feedback on your work is required. Do not get swayed by general acknowledgement, instead, try finding a friend or family member who gives you authentic and genuine feedback.
10. Connect with fellow writers: Form a group or start connecting with other writers. Constant interaction with other writers helps to broaden perspective and the exchange of ideas is a great way for the entire writing community to step forward.
11. Take up courses: The best answer on how to become a writer lies in taking up writing courses. There are plenty of online and offline classes that you can attend and learn from.
12. Self-learn: Besides taking up a course, several books talk about how to be a writer. Spend your free time reading these up for tips and practice.
13. Schedule and plan: If you want to publish a book or write for publications, you need to plan well. Make a calendar of sorts and chalk out what and how much you plan to write. Setting a writing time in your routine can work wonders.
14. Set small targets: Make small achievable writing goals and pat yourself when you achieve them. Your goals could be writing a 500-word article or completing a single page in your novel each day.
15. Follow up: Writing is a continuous process. Do not stop after writing a couple of pages or pieces. Follow up with new blog posts or send across your work to publications. Make it a cycle of continued writing practice.
16. Edit: Writing is incomplete without editing. Learn to edit your work, and as the famous saying goes, ‘Write drunk, edit sober.’ Editing will help you to write appealing and crisp content.
17. Grammar goals: It goes without saying that to write well, one should have a strong understanding of grammar. You cannot use incorrect grammar, and thus brushing up on language and grammar rules is important.
18. Use tools: Writers have a wide range of tools available to better their writings. Grammarly, Google docs, and many other resources are a great help when it comes to
writing coherent and correct content.
19. Reach the finish line: Complete your writing assignment. Dropping it in the middle or starting a writing sample and not finishing it is the worst! Finish that article or get down to finishing the end of that story.
20. You are a writer!: Strive for perfection and uniqueness in your writings. You may not necessarily be the best, but trying to perfect your craft is the way ahead. And do not be disheartened when publications reject your piece. Instead, know that the writer within you need to be patient.
Finally, how to be a writer begins with believing in being one! All the best on your journey on being a writer!