As the world is witnessing the change of power in Afghanistan, we bring up how the people of Afghanistan have lost so much to wars. When we think about Afghanistan, the picture of burqa-clad women confined to homes, starved children living in fear and deprived of education come to our mind. But, Afghanistan was not like this forever.
The war-struck nation was once peaceful where women could roam freely in dresses and happy kids had avenues to seek education.
Here are the pictures from the 1950s-1980s that show a completely different Afghanistan. These pictures would leave you heartbroken as it shows how war has torn the country and forced the people to live their lives in constant fear.
1. Unlike today, in the 1950s and 60s, Afghanistan had girls scouts. The girl students learned about nature trails, camping and public safety.
2. Contrary to today, Afghanistan once had strong and functional defense forces that protected the citizens and ensured their safety!
3. Today it might be considered unsafe for women to roam in the public spaces. But, in 1950-1960, women used to live a fearless public life. They could take their kids to playgrounds without fear before it was considered unsafe. They had the freedom to roam freely in their favourite dresses.
4. Women had the freedom to venture out to record stores to buy the music of their choice.
5. Women could roam around freely in public spaces like gardens.
6. Girls had the freedom to attend schools as well as college.
7. Scenes from outside movie theatres that screened Hollywood movies.
8. Kindergarten were once a happy and fun thing for kids.
9. Co-education was a norm where kids fearlessly shared knowledge and education.
10. Education was even available in Afghan villages through outdoor schools
These pictures may have touched your heart and left you broken. These are just a reminder of how Afghan women, men and kids have lost so much because of war. These people deserve better!
We pray for the future of the Afghan people because they have already suffered so much!