Marriages is not easy. It demands so much from women that many times we don’t recognize ourselves anymore. From expecting us to change how we look, to how we talk, to how we dress, society holds unfair and unrealistic expectation from women.
Many women find these expectations too heavy and cumbersome! Here’s a few unrealistic expectations that society holds from women.
1. You are expected to lose weight just because everyone wants you to look like Aishwarya Rai or Alia Bhatt! So, you are bombarded with unsolicited advice and weird nuskhe about losing weight!
2. Doesn’t matter whether you enjoy cooking or not, you are expected to learn how to cook. Because if you don’t, then who will make food for Pati Dev! In the end, husbands aren’t supposed to cook, right?
3. Doesn’t matter if you are comfortable within your skin, many distant relatives and rishta wali aunties would give you gharelu nuskhe to look fair!
4. You are expected to be educated but not ambitious. You are expected to quit your job if that pleases your husband’s and his family’s expectations.
5. You do everything possible to please your future in-laws.
6. You are supposed to give up on your friendships, especially with the friends of the opposite sex.
7. You should be ready to give up your freedom of speech because Bahu Ranis should not talk too much!
8. You should be ready to give all your salary to your husband and in-laws. Because, for some women marriage turns into a bonded labor.
9. You should practice wearing suits and sarees because society believes our clothes define our sanskaars!
10. You must suffer abuse and disrespect in the name of sanskaars and values!
The list of society’s unfair expectation from women is endless. Do let us know what you think?