Even though we are living in the 21st century, society still tends to control women. As soon as women start speaking their minds, they are either trolled, shamed or harassed. In recent times, many women have been trolled for shattering regressive norms and taking a powerful stand against the patriarchy. While few progressive minds applauded them, there were many, who called them uncultured and much worse.
We have consolidated a list of courageous souls, who were brutally trolled for forgetting their sanskaar just because they shattered the patriarchal norms.
1. Priyanka Chopra earned the label of uncultured woman by marrying a man – who was 10 years younger to her!
While men can marry younger women anytime, our society couldn’t digest a woman marrying a younger man. No wonder Priyanka was trolled for taking a stand against hypocritical society! Whatever society may have called her, her stand left many inspired to lead a life on their own terms.
2. Dia Mirza earned the label of an uncultured woman just because she decided to marry again, years after moving out of an unhappy marriage
3. Swara Bhaskar was called uncultured for the brave portrayal of a woman, who masturbates. Nothing scares our society more than a woman, who owns her sexuality!
4. Sushmita Sen challenged the sanskaari culture by dating a guy 15 years younger to her and adopting kids without even getting married!
5. Mandira Bedi took a stand against patriarchal sanskari culture by performing her husband’s last rites
Mandira Bedi paid a price when she stood against the social norm and performed the last rites of her husband. Our patriarchal society couldn’t handle a woman performing the last rites, which has been a man’s right for centuries, and hence, brutally trolled her.
6. Malaika Arora was called uncultured for marrying and then divorcing Arbaaz Khan for money
It was quite shameful how many people came forward to blame Malaika for her failed marriage. Just because she showed the courage to move out of an unhappy marriage, our society didn’t waste any time blaming her for the separation.
7. Taapsee Pannu for sharing her opinions without any fear
— SNEHAL MAHAJAN (@Snehalmahajan1) December 14, 2020
8. Lisa Haydon for breast-feeding her baby in public
Our society labels a woman as uncultured if they breastfeed their kids in public. Men can piss in public, but women can’t breastfeed!
View this post on Instagram
Was Told I’m Not a Cow: Lisa Haydon On Getting Trolled For Sharing Breastfeeding Pichttps://t.co/WAcRffpdsS— News18 Lifestyle (@News18Lifestyle) August 27, 2018
9. When Neena Gupta was called uncultured for wearing a short dress
Sadly, when Neena Gupta went to meet Gulzar to launch her autobiography, many trolled Neena Gupta for wearing a short dress. ‘Gulzar sahab k pass aap gaye the wo time aapko saadi pehen kr jana chahiye tha…sorry….kyuki Gulzar sahab Gulzar sahab ha,’ a user commented. ‘Age ke hisab se chalo madam,’ wrote another one. ‘Ye sab gandgi hai aunty Ji !!! Western culture bilkul kharab hai ! Or aap ye Jante hue bhi inka anusarn kar rahe ho ! Toh aaj ke bache apni history or religion ke bar mai kya hi jaan na pasand karenge !? Jab aap jaise log maail se bhari western culture ki chadar ohd lenge,’ another netizen added.
But this wasn’t the first time when Neena Gupta earned the label of an uncultured woman. Her unconventional choice of having a daughter, Masaba, out of wedlock has earned the medal of an uncultured woman a long time ago.
At IFORHER, we are in love with these powerful women who were labelled as uncultured by our regressive patriarchal society! These women are living proof that how society tends to control women. While these women may have been shamed by our society, they are no less than heroes for us.