Our patriarchal society never leaves a chance to disappoint us. Recently, we stumbled over a Quora thread where people shared experiences of being rejected in the process of arranged marriage. The reasons given to them were reflection of how we are living in a regressive and patriarchal society.
Here’s what some of the women shared and their experiences made us feel disgusted, saddened and heartbroken:
1. “They all like my family, me, and wish to move ahead. But once I put forward just one condition that I have, everything breaks apart. That is, after the wedding, I will give half my salary to my parents. Just that.” – Anonymous
2. “Suggested that we have a simple wedding, so the money my parents have saved up for my marriage can be added to their retirement fund.” – Anonymous
3. “To one guy I suggested I will give up my condition if he does the same, ie leave his parent’s home & not give them him salary. He called me a bitch & his mother said they dodged a bullet, before calling it off.” – Anonymous
4. “My mom was rejected by a prospective groom just before the engagement because his family discovered that she wore contact lenses!” – Poojitha Prasad
5. “He asked me about my academic background. I didn’t go into the details. But he insisted, so I told him my ranking. He just couldn’t handle that I had got a better ranking and a higher percentage than him. Then came the topic of salary. Turns out, I was earning more than him. His face turned all red. I was rejected for being over-qualified.” – Anonymous
6. “I got ready, my mom asked me to collect the clothes that were hanging in the balcony. I rushed towards the balcony for the same. Suddenly while doing so, my panties slipped from the rope on which it was hanging and fell down. Unfortunately, the panties landed on the guy’s father’s head. And, that was that. ” – Priyanka Shah
7. “I got rejected, because I wanted to live with HIS parents after marriage and he did not WTF. It should have been me who should have rejected him. – Anonymous
8. “I was rejected because I was wearing SHORTS. They didn’t mind my degree, and they didn’t even mind the dowry. They rejected me simply because of the clothes I was wearing. – Hema C
9. “We never understood why but this is the reason we were told for being rejected; we served them samosas and sharbat instead of tea and poha.” – Aditi N Patil
10. “The family wanted assurance that I would reject promotions and offers that would result me in earning more than the prospective husband. “Fuck this shit” – I said it right to their faces.” – Anonymous
Aren’t these reason disgusting? Do let us know what you think!