Kamala Harris, the first woman US Vice-President has added several firsts to her name as Joe Biden won the presidential race on Saturday evening defeating incumbent president Donald Trump.
Also known as ‘The female Barack Obama”, Kamala Harris is considered to be close to Barack Obama, the first black American President. Kamala Harris was born to two immigrant parents: a Black father and an Indian mother.
Her father, Donald Harris, was from Jamaica, and her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, a cancer researcher, and civil rights activist from Chennai. She however defines herself simply as ‘American’.
Mother’s deep influence on raising Kamala Harris as a strong & independent daughter
After her parents divorced, Harris was raised primarily by her single mother. While sharing her single mother’s contribution, Kamala shared in her autobiography ‘The Truths We Hold:
“She knew that her adopted homeland would see Maya and me as black girls and she was determined to make sure we would grow into confident, proud black women.”
Her mother told her growing up, “Don’t sit around and complain about things, do something,” which is what drives Kamala every single day.
An inspiring leader, Kamala Harris has many firsts in her kitty that inspires many young women to smash the patriarchy and turn their dream into reality.
Here are some of Kamma Harris firsts:
1. Kamala Harris is the first female, first Black, first Indian-American, and first Asian vice president-elect of the US.
2. Harris joined Joe Biden as his running mate after she suspended her own presidential dreams. She was only the third woman vice presidential nominee to be selected on a major party ticket.
3. The 56-year-old California senator is one of only three Asian Americans in the Senate and she’s the first Indian-American ever to serve in the chamber.
4. She has been a county district attorney; the district attorney for San Francisco — the first woman and first African-American and Indian-origin to be elected to the position.
5. Also known as ‘The female Barack Obama”, she is considered to be close to Barack Obama, the first black American President, who endorsed her in her various elections including that of the US Senate in 2016. Harris was born to two immigrant parents: a Black father and an Indian mother.
6. After Howard, she went on to earn her law degree at the University of California, Hastings, and began her career in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office. She became the top prosecutor for San Francisco in 2003, before being elected the first woman and the first black person to serve as California’s attorney general in 2010, the top lawyer in America’s most populous state.
Many netizens came forward to applaud Kamala Harris and her historic win:
At IFORHER, we wish Kamala Harris all the best for her future endeavors and hope she will keep inspiring us!