After 23 years of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, I realized Karan Johar’s super-hit classic is a movie with so many issues and problems. It is not just sexist, this movie is toxic and misogynist. Before you blame me for ruining your movie, here is a much needed disclaimer. Like many of you, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was one of my favorites too. But, this post may ruin the movie for you forever! So, please read it at your own risk.
1. Burdening A 8-year-old Because Of Your Own Guilt
An 8-year-old child has been given a responsibility to make two grown-up adults fall in love? What was Tina thinking? Dear Tina, we understand your guilt when you realized that you came between Anjali & Rahul. But why to burden an eight-year-old child, with the responsibility of reuniting her man-child father with his childhood friend.
2. Rahul: What A Creepy Father
3. Malhotra, Sexist Principal
How could one forget Principal Malhotra’s sexist comments on how he’ll complain to the mothers of girl students, that they are trying to ‘excite’ boys with their short skirts!
4. KKHH promoted sexual harassment as Rahul shamelessly whistled at his teacher! Sleazy and totally unacceptable!
5. Rahul was the worst friend one can ask for! Even though he is Anjali’s Best Friend, still he is the first to laugh at her with his girlfriend!
6. Rather than promoting coolness, The Neelam Show shamelessly promoted cheating on national television by simply saying that he had found someone else!
7. Like many other problematic Bollywood movies, Anjali starts dressing in Indian traditional clothes to look attractive! This movie makes me wonder why does a woman need to change the way she dresses in order to get male attention?
8. Rahul’s Problematic Definition Of Love, Marriage & Friendship
I wish some one would tell Rahul that there is no rule that love and marriage happens only once. People move out of toxic marriage and fall in love again! But, what could you expect from someone who falls in love with the clothes and not the person.