For a very long time, Bollywood has been promoting a regressive mentality or toxic characters in name of love. And, that’s the reason why many movies that we loved when we were young, now seem to be problematic. Be it DDLJ, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or Dil To Pagal Hai or Kal Ho Naa Ho. Yes, Kal Ho Naa Ho, another blockbuster, that we loved so much when we were young, tends to be full of problems! If you loved the movie as much as we did, then you would be highly disappointed!
1. Naina is toxic and the worst friend. From being super whiny to body shaming her best friend, Sweetu, Naina is a toxic character that no one should fall for!
2. Aman just doesn’t understand the concept of personal space.
Aman Mathur keeps shamelessly barging into his neighbors’ personal lives, showing disrespect towards the concept of personal space.
3. This movie is full of instances of casual sexism and harassment
It’s quite disgusting how casual sexism and harassment are showcased as cute and funny. From Rohit inappropriately hitting on every woman to Aman touching other people without their consent is quite atrocious.
4. How could we forget Aman’s pathetic concept of ‘6 din, ladki in’?
Dear Bollywood, Women are not yours to play games with. Women are not objects that men need to conquer!
5. Homophobia at its worst.
It is sad how Kantaben’s homophobic reactions to Aman and Rohit were used as humor.
6. Naina’s lack of empathy towards Rohit’s feelings for her!
You can definitely tell someone you don’t love them. But it’s really toxic when you tell the other person that they don’t love you. Rather it’s just infatuation. How can you dictate someone else’s feelings? How can you completely negate someone’s love?
7. Rohit’s character falling in love with Camilla!
Wait, well Rohit was in madly love with Naina. And within 5 minutes, he has fallen in love with Camilla!
8. When Rohit finds out about Aman’s health.
Rohit is more concerned about Aman’s lying about his love for Naina than his death! What a manchild?
9. Even after being seriously ill, why this man keeps dancing and running around?
This was quite unbelievable how even after being seriously ill, Aman rather than resting was busy dancing on the cars or running around!
It is quite heartbreaking how this movie, which is so close to our heart, was full of so many issues – regressive mindset, casual sexism and so much more! We are so disappointed! (All images are screengrabs from Kal Ho Naa Ho @Netfilx.)